End the Gas Chamber
The reality is shocking: Currently, almost 3 million companion pets are euthanized in shelters each year.
One of the goals of Animal Aid USA is to end the necessity of euthanasia of unwanted pets however, we still have a long way to go. When an animal must be euthanized, it is imperative that it be done in the most humane way possible.
While many shelters practice humane euthanasia by injection of approved drugs, some still use the gas chamber. In gas chambers, animals are forced into a box, often along with many others. The gassing process takes at minimum several minutes and often much longer, during which time the animals experience fear, panic and immense suffering. Animal Aid USA is dedicated to stopping this.
A puppy mill is a commercial dog breeding facility or backyard breeder that operates with an emphasis on maximizing seller profits, usually with a complete disregard for animal welfare. Conditions in puppy mills are substandard and inhumane. The puppies produced in mills are sold to pet stores, online or directly to the public via online advertising and often have significant health issues. It is estimated that there are at least 10,000 puppy mills in the U.S. Fewer than 3,000 of these are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Animal Aid USA is committed to abolishing puppy mills. We work with federal and local legislators to bring awareness to this issue and also encourage pet stores owners to consider working with their local rescue groups to facilitate an adoption partnership.
How You Can Help
- If your your shelters still uses a gas chamber, contact shelter leaders, local officials and media.
- Encourage state legislators to support a statewide gas chamber ban.
- Donate to groups, like us, who will use the funds to campaign for legislation to ban the chamber and provide grants to rural shelters so they can provide the education, training and supplies needed to discontinue gas chambers use.
- Adopt pets through rescue groups or from pet stores who partner with local rescues.
- Sign our petition and encourage others to do the same.